You know how everyone has an opinion?
What I want to know is what the heck is everyones problem with Dad! and I making the conscious decision that Rito is going to be an only child?
For the last couple months Dad! and I have discussed whether or not Rito will have a sibling. At first we thought that we would in another year or two try for another baby. Recently though we have come to the decision that one child is what is right for our little family. We put a lot of thought into this and have our reasons for wanting an only child and some are listed here:
- I (Mamamama) am an only child. Did I ever wish for a brother or sister? Yes, when I was 7 I wanted a little brother. The novelty of that idea wore off. Do I regret not having a sibbling? Nope.
- Dad! has a younger brother. Did he get any enjoyment out of his brother as a kid? Not really. In fact they didn’t get along too well until Dad! was out on his own and they didn’t live together anymore. Does he wish Uncle-J was never born? No, but being an only kid would have had it’s perks too.
- Being an only child was great. I had an opportunity to travel overseas with my parents, and they always took me out with them to nice places because one child was “easy to handle” in public.
- People feel that kids need sibblings to play with, I don’t believe that. I was forced to make friends and be outgoing to keep myself occupied.
- With less children, my Mom and Dad could afford to have me in sports and music lessons. This may sound lame but now at days kids activities are both time consuming and very expensive. Juggling between a couple kids could prove to be impossible with multiple children.
- I like to work part time. With more then one, I have to give up what I do for a living and I worked long and hard to get where I am (and I only work 2 times a week). Call me selfish, but I like to have my own spending money and help out with household expenses.
There are many other reasons, but what kills me is when friends, family and co-workers all weigh in on the fact that they think having an only child is the wrong decision or selfish. I am not advocating for ALL families to have only one child, do what is best for you. But for the McSleepy household, this is likely the right decision.
Seriously, what gives?